In literature, as in life, a character may search for a better way of life. The first character in A Raisin in the Sun that is searching for a better life is Beneatha. Beneatha is searching for a better life by putting all her efforts into her studies. “I am going to be a doctor and everybody around here better understand that! And God hasn’t got a thing to do with it. I’m tired of Him getting credit for all the things the human race achieves through its own stubborn effort.” She hopes to gain success, she hopes to gain a profession, she hopes to gain money, for a better house, to improve her quality of life, and to help her family.
Another character in Raisin in the Sun who is searching for a better life is Walter Lee. Walter is searching better for a better way of life, by hoping to invest in a liquor store. “I got me a dream. I got to change my life.” Walter is searching for a better life by trying and trying to convince mama to let him have the 10,000 to get into him business. “Mama – sometimes when I pass them cool, quiet-looking restaurants where I see them white boys are sitting back and talking ‘bout things…sitting and talking about deals worth millions of dollars…sometimes I see guys not so much older than me… It’s always been about money Mama. We just didn’t know about it. He is hoping to gain money to help his family, to help create more opportunities for his child, to improve their lifestyle. Walter is begging, and begging Mama to help him but she refuses.
No comments:
Post a Comment