
I wanted to be an archeologist, says Martin. Martin who reads day and night, who is very patient and helps me with homework, who gave up his dream but had no other choice.
He studied business, as a major, for a degree, archeology, his minor during his first year in college. Time passed…things changed. I want to be an archeologist, was brought up at the dinner table. No, no, no was his answer. Martin, who changed his dreams from business man to archeologist, because he knew it was what he would of enjoyed doing. Martin, who lies in bed after work, and watches the National Geographic channel. If you do that I’m cutting you off, said his father. No messing with head of the household, he forgot about it.
Some more time passed…his dad had a heart attack. His second. Time for Martin to quit school and learn his dads business at eighteen years old. Dad works in Panama City. Bye-bye New York.
Now he sells cars and motorcycles. Sitting in the office, sipping his cup of coffee, and playing poker on the computer, waiting for costumers. I would have been a great archeologist, he says. Can you picture me with the huge glasses looking all nerdy? I love ancient civilization, says Martin who knows all there is to know about history, and loves it. But…I guess if I haven’t have moved, I wouldn’t have my kids, my experiences, learned a second language, met you, your sister and your mom, so everything turned out for the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment