Sunday, January 17, 2010

Travel Day 22:An Important American Monument





Today we as tourists visited an important American monument. Guess which one, I’ll give you clues.
1) The one representing liberty, all over the states.
2) Originally a gift from the French. The outer layer of it is made of copper.
It is big and green.
3) It’s holding a big fire stick.
4) It has a crown on.
5) Surrounded by water.

Did you guess yet? Yep, the Statue of Liberty! That was recently opened, since the 9/11.
We took a ferry (which was hard to get too, form lower Manhattan). We sat on the top floor, and saw the view right up front. I had my picture taken with my hand under the view of the statue, so it looks as if I was holding it myself with one hand (while on the ferry).
Unfortunately, our ticket was labeled “NO MONUMENT ACCESS,” so we didn’t have the chance to go up on the crown part of the statue, but we got pretty close. We walked around it and saw the view, which was good enough.
We also got the chance to the Ellis Island Museum, that the ferry took us as the next stop. It was very cool to go see it because we learned a little bit in Mrs. Brown’s English class. It felt good to go somewhere that you know about.
After that was done, we took the NY Subway to upper Manhattan and wondered around. Then, we went to Marriot Marquis, a restaurant in the Marriot hotel, on the forty-eighth floor, that I strongly recommended for all to visit. It’s a buffet, with a spectacular, breath taking, night time, view. And you eat and the floor rotates and the view changes, one side is New York and the other is of New Jersey. In one hour, you rotate 360*. How interesting is that? You also receive a napkin that tells you what you’re looking at. And the food especially is amazing! The chocolate strawberries, the tiramisu in chocolate mini cups, the raspberry cake, the lemon cake, the apple pie. Getting hungry? I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment