Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Killer Sound


I can live with the sound of chalk screeching on the chalk board. I can tolerate the sound of led squeaking from a mechanical pencil, during silent and everlasting quiz. However, I absolutely cannot --under any circumstances--tolerate the sound of a plastic knife scratching a Styrofoam plate...ever.


I remember sitting and eating somewhere with the whole family. Michelle accidentally scratched the plate with her knife and made that terrible sound that brings a stinging feeling, as if your foot fell asleep and was suddenly coming back to life, the bad way. She noticed the look on my face afterwords, she saw me covering my ears. She could tell how much I hated it, "Oh right, I'm sorry," she said. "I know that's the sound that drives you nuts!"


"You mean this sound?" Danny said bringing that disgusting melody into my ears. Next thing I knew, everyone at the table -- about eight people at the time -- were making that noise. I begged them to stop, I crouched down, and covered my ears. Let's just say it got me nowhere, and it was one of the most painful dinners in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment