
My grandma came to visit from Moscow for three months and left last Saturday. My goal was to improve my relationship with her, and spend as much time with her as possible. I think I did a pretty good job, but again there's always room for improvement, but I did pay attention to her more than last time. Sometimes we would agree on something, sometimes we had 100% opposite opinions.
My main problem was having a strong opinion towards something --and so was hers-- which led us to spend a very long time discussing whats correct, and no one was ever right. I learned that sometimes I had to come in agreement with her, and after all she probably has had experience and was trying to make me learn from it. There isn't really anything specific I remember from our contrast of ideas, but I do remember something I realized from all of it: you have to accept that people have different prospectives of right and wrong, and that you have to respect that. After all the saying is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks (I am not comparing her to a dog, I mean it in a good way). She might not understand that the world has changed and people have changed with it, but I have to love and respect her for who she is.
My main problem was having a strong opinion towards something --and so was hers-- which led us to spend a very long time discussing whats correct, and no one was ever right. I learned that sometimes I had to come in agreement with her, and after all she probably has had experience and was trying to make me learn from it. There isn't really anything specific I remember from our contrast of ideas, but I do remember something I realized from all of it: you have to accept that people have different prospectives of right and wrong, and that you have to respect that. After all the saying is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks (I am not comparing her to a dog, I mean it in a good way). She might not understand that the world has changed and people have changed with it, but I have to love and respect her for who she is.
I love how you made the title relate to the memoir! It really shows how you come to an understandng that she's who she is :) Great Job!!
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to see the change in attitude towards your grandmother and how you learned a lesson from your whole experience with her. Great confession
ReplyDelete